Hi everyone, I was curious if anyone wanted to dis...
# platform-blueprints
j
Hi everyone, I was curious if anyone wanted to discuss high level issues they're facing and trying to solve with an IDP / Platform engineering team. An example would be like "We use microservice architecture and it isn't feasible to run everything needed for development on a laptop. Our IDP includes a service catalog and the ability to create remote development environments"
v
A very high level and high impact issue I see is the build vs buy debate. Is it better to build an IDP or buy one that is scalable? In my limited exposure, I see a lot of teams hell bent on creating the best IDP, even though 90-100% of their job can be done with a simples PaaS.
j
I think that goes back to my original question about what problems people are trying to solve when they set out to build it. I agree with you that most of the time, problems can be solved with an off the shelf solution Engineers love building things and when they get the opportunity to solve their own development issues but maintaining an IDP is a huge undertaking
v
yes, building is fun, first few modules hit real hard, but then you end up with 1 more project to maintain. And if you are solving the problem of DevOps burnout or reliable deployments, you end up spraying gasoline over the fire. Developers mostly love to build, but not maintain 😄