Any discussion on platform engineering and platfor...
# general
r
Any discussion on platform engineering and platform development tends to mention the idea of "thinnest viable platform". This is usually followed by the suggestion that your IDP can be as simple as a set of wiki pages. I'm curious: are there specific practices and tools that helped your team start with simple documentation as your platform v0? How did you measure success?
g
Hi, have you seen/checked some examples shared by Team Topologies authors. They are good for inspo. https://github.com/TeamTopologies/Thinnest-Viable-Platform-examples
s
followed by the suggestion that your IDP can be as simple as a set of wiki pages
I'd argue this isn't true. A developer platform has to entail some form of automation from delivering the first line of code to the deployment of it to production and everything in between, which should also include publicizing documentation. I'd even extend that definition to include that it's only a platform, when a dev can create any number of applications from it and not only a specialized set of applications. That's when you've built out the abstractions necessary to cover any application building and deploying scenario needed by the business. That's when you have a platform. Anything else is just a workflow.