Hey guys, As far I know with Helm Custom, you can...
# kubernetes
s
Hey guys, As far I know with Helm Custom, you can define and manage your application's dependencies, configuration values, and deployment process exactly as needed. This level of control can be beneficial when you have a complex application setup.and you will have full control. Drawbacks we are responsible for maintaining and updating the Helm charts and dependencies On the other hand Bitnami provides pre-packaged Helm charts, Time-saving ready-to-use, allowing us to quickly deploy applications and infrastructure components without investing more effort in chart development. But the way of nature is restrictive and depend on the external provider(Bitnami) for updates we are thinking of changing the custom rabbitmq charts that we currently have to use bitnami helm charts. My only 'concern' what if Bitnami stops providing support to the helm chart So is it good to go with Bitnami or stay with helm custom
c
You can always contribute back and make sure it is maintained?
a
Also RabbitMQ provider an Operator now https://github.com/rabbitmq/cluster-operator
j
Bit more of an involved pattern, but I've had lots of luck with using upstream helm charts to be used as upstream templates. And then patching those with Kustomize. That way you can build the layers as needed and all of the changes you make to the upstream are defined in code alongside what was pulled from the upstream. It also means that if there is no Helm chart for a given upstream you can just pull their manifests and use that as your templates. Kustomize also gives you flexibility later to add layers. So if in dev and stage you just want to use your base template with a common patch you can, but you can patch that again in your prod environment to modify it if necessary.
image.png