Hi everyone, is it common for the IDP to also mana...
# platform-blueprints
a
Hi everyone, is it common for the IDP to also manage "shared" packages such as DB, Bus, Authentication, Service mesh... when they are used by almost all streamline teams ? Or each shared package should be owned by one streamline team, making each streamline team dependent of each other depending on the package ownership distribution among them. Note that here, the ownership of a package is only about managing the docker image, helm chart, version upgrade, vulnerabilities, potential extensions... Not running the actual service which is still the responsibility of the streamline team. Thanks for your answers !
a
are you conflating service catalog w/ IDP?
we wrote this up recently. IMO you can own a package but not the production service. service catalogs seem to be better at the dev side of the loop not the prod side of the loop for ownership. https://www.prodvana.io/blog/service-catalogs-are-just-the-start
what you’re describing is throw it over the fence model
that model probably has less effectiveness w/ platforms tbh
a
Thanks @Andrew Fong, I should clarify my question. The Platform Engineering team owns the catalog, each team handles the services they build. Understood. My question is about the third party services that everybody is using (PostgreSQL, Kafka, Redis...), who should own their packages ? (each team is going to deploy its own instance of these services). Let's say the ownership of PostgreSQL package is on team A because they are DB kings. Team B also uses postgreSQL. Both team deliver their own services. Since team A owns the postgreSQL package then Team B depends on Team A. But the product manager of team A doesn't care about delivering PostgreSQL to team B.
k
If usage is enterprise wide, Platform can consider owning it