re: leetcode. It’s mostly algorithmic work, the mo...
# wayfolk
a
re: leetcode. It’s mostly algorithmic work, the moment you know how to approach it, you can code it. if you don’t, you kinda done before you started. The difference between “new to leetcode” and “spent months in leetcode” is largely how many approaches and algorithms / approaches you learned. How practical is it for our work? I believe we know the answer. Having that said, it’s often the rule of the game and you have to play it.
z
if you don’t, you kinda done before you started.
I sat and just stared at one of these for like 15 minutes and no idea how to approach it 😐
s
pretty much this. i used to turn down coding interviews because so many of them were just irrelevant (except for one that was integrating zero trust auth for a devsecops role). but they're becoming ubiquitous. so it's just another thing you do now whether or not it seems relevant.
and at least it's not completely useless knowledge to build up. versions of them are likely to be useful somewhere.
z
for
job-1
I told the recruiters I was working with that I wouldn't do code tests, but the popularity has really taken off
also at
job-1
while hiring someone to my team, one of my junior members suggested we do a code test and starts describing one - I asked if he could solve it, right now in front of me, and he retracted the idea 😄
a
it’s annoying but can’t do much about it. If you keep declining code interviews, you may still get a job but your choice will be way more limited.
n
Coding interview doesn't necessarily have to be leetcode though. I actually thought the questions we were asking for the SRE role were relevant and provided some good signal on the candidates
z
I didn't do any coding for W
@Subhash Gada grilled the shit out of me on Loki vs Elasticsearch though 😄
a
Copy code
Coding interview doesn't necessarily have to be leetcode though.
Unfortunately, many companies just do leetcode / codewars and use their blocks of questions
j
Or neetcode
n
Yup. Developing something bespoke is extra work for hiring managers and leads to inconsistencies between teams and in candidate experience. When you're getting tons of applications it becomes an easy way to set the bar
a
I find it kinda funny. On one hand there's leetcode and binary trees, on the other hand there is "what happens when you type google.com in your browser's address bar". Wayfair was the latter.
And I find the latter more practical and down to earth. At least it walks an interviewee through the whole stack of tech.
Or how does one approach moving a whole Instagram worth of data from one cloud provider to another.
a
I mean, don’t forget, we were actually good at many things 😉 There is no “Wayfair” did that didn’t have our part of it in some shape or form.
j
Those are two different sets of problems that measure different skillset aptitude, Azer
a
I have a friend jumping between FAANG and he goes for leetcode training every 2-3 years, it’s his routine. Only once in many years he had to apply one of approaches he learned and was the happiest person in the world at that time 😂
a
I also suspect that the bar for EU companies is much lower than for those in US (maybe except Meta, Apple, Alphabet, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.)
a
But yes, the moral of this story, agree or not, practicing leetcode increases your chances
j
Which makes Didenko a god among men in Europe 😂
Practicing, period, increases your chances