Just this morning I read <@U03HCH0TKPH>'s article ...
# platform-culture
a
Just this morning I read @Daniel Bryant's article Is Platform Engineering the New DevOps or SRE? I liked the part where he talks about paths: “_A core part of the paved platform engineering path is helping developers to have some understanding of the infrastructure and the roles of SREs and DevOps without necessarily making them do those jobs in whole themselves”._ I truly believe letting developers pick their preferred level of context is the way to go. Wondering how people here balance that with the more established you build it, you run it principle. What’s your view on it? 👐 Focusing on core competencies (shipping code) and abstracting the rest into golden paths 🤚 Taking full responsibility, we are 100% “you build it, you run it”
k
Bookmarking these two articles to read later, and I’ll jump right to your question about the balance - we have not achieved this yet, but what we would like is to create a golden path for the developers where they don’t have to know HOW the infrastructure got created for them, but they DO know what resources they own, how to monitor and troubleshoot basic issues and maybe submit PRs for enhancement to the platform if they are interested.
a
@Kashmira Patel this is a wise point of view I could say. Thanks for sharing!