Hello everyone. Nice to be here. I help our custom...
# general
r
Hello everyone. Nice to be here. I help our customers build modern-app platforms using VMware's Tanzu product suite. If anyone else here is using that toolset, I would be interested to know you 🙂
a
We use Wavefront (Tanzu Obervability).
s
@Robert Kloosterhuis and @Alex Zapata, great to connect with you. Somewhat random question but does the Broadcom acquisition of VMware cause you any concerns in terms of long term usage? (E.g. seeing stuff like: https://www.businessinsider.com/vmware-chaos-broadcom-acquisition-layoffs-conference-employees-customers-2022-8)
r
Well right now things are certainly a little chaotic. Lots of people indeed leaving, causing disruption. And we are seeing plays by VMware leadership that might be motivated by positioning themselves positively to not get the ax the moment the takeover goes through and Hock starts to 'trim the fat' at the c-level. But lets call all those things 'temporary' waves in the pond. What I am more worried about is the future of the MAPBU and all the products it owns (Tanzu). VMware has about, what is it, 14 business units? How many of them will be squeezed to make back the investment? All of them? If that is true for the MAPBU, VMware is going to have to become extremely picky about what parts of their modern-apps portfolio they can actually keep developing or maintaining. For example, maybe you loose all 'Tanzu data services' .. it would be a quick win from a costs perspective. But for those of us here, trying to build IDP's with those toolsets.. it means having to orient ourselves much more strongly to mix commercial and open-source. Technically thats not a problem... but our kinds of customers want their software to be supported... so you go from few vendors,, to many little ones. Makes everything more complicated. But remember, I am talking Enterprise customers here.... I am not talking about DevOps-it-yourself shops that would take on all responsibilities internally.. plenty of those on this slack here I suspect.. just not what we happen to focus on.
s
I really appreciate this considered response @Robert Kloosterhuis! We definitely are hearing concerns from enterprises who don't want to manage a dozen providers and mesh them together if only due to the security/compliance overhead. Also seeing a variety of larger companies wanting multicloud and edge, and different devX entry points (containers, WASM, FaaS etc) so it's a diversity of bed but trying to consolidate to one, or very few providers. (Not trying to plug Seaplane here but that's what we are trying to address.) Not sure if you see the same from where you sit?