Hello everyone. I work in Product at Oso where we ...
# general
j
Hello everyone. I work in Product at Oso where we build Authorization-as-a-service. I'm curious about the relationship between Platform Engineering and the CIO org. Are you more frequently seeing platform engineering arise in product engineering organizations who want to deliver shared services to their development teams because they care about speed, or are they coming from the CIO org to do something similar because they care about standards?
p
At Asapp, we are a startup and perhaps started platform as a shadow function in product engineering before we had a CIO :) However, with some growth, I moved out of product engineering to create an official platform engineering function. We are useful to our org and I think the reason is because we were organic. Initially it was about speed, with growth it’s more about standards. Oh and we report to the CTO.
j
Thanks for the response @Priya Sawant
m
Hi @Jed Gresham! I like what you are building at Oso! When I worked at Target, the Platform Engineering team reported to the CIO. However, They had Product Directors / Managers attached at the hip to deliver shared services across the company. They have a conference coming up, virtually, that's pretty cool! https://iccon.target.com/
j
Fancy meeting you here @Matthew Schillerstrom!!! Thanks, thats good info.