Hi folks! I am starting a side project which I thi...
# general
r
Hi folks! I am starting a side project which I think it could be a game changer in terms of team collaboration. Is a dependabot 2.0 where refactors in the source code of the downstream dependencies can be applied in the same way than if it was a monorepo. The idea is: (1) infer the refactors from PRs; (2) Developers can approve/customize the inferred refactors of their PRs; (3) Once they are merged, if there is a new dependency bump, the extra files are refactored. What flaws do you detect here? https://twitter.com/raquelpau/status/1588476126888071168?s=20&t=ur-IiXbNCSJXeRgk_YSj3g
t
There’s is a use case in Backstage community that needs to be solved. It doesn’t have a solution yet but there are companies that need it. Gumtree or something like it could be a possible solution. If you’re interested, I can explain the use case.
r
yes, please
j
Would be curious to that as well @Taras Mankovski
t
@Jelmer Borst I spoke with @Raquel Pau Fernandez about this in DMs. I’m happy to share these with you
j
Sure! If @Raquel Pau Fernandez also doesn’t mind 😄
r
AFAIU @Taras Mankovski is raising the point of repairing code using ML. Let me know what do you think.
t
@Jelmer Borst the original use case that I wanted to share was this https://github.com/backstage/backstage/issues/14416 In summary, Scaffolder Plugin for Backstage allows creating new repositories from code templates. When the template changes, the repository created from the template is not updated. This makes it difficult to maintain consistency within the organization that uses these templates. @Raquel Pau Fernandez and I originally started talking about this use case and then we arrived at “what if we could use a combination of gumtree + stable diffusion to merge the code.” Stable diffusion is similar to Code Pilot. It can be trained to generate code. Hopefully Gumtree can allow us to merge with structure aware merging. Stable diffusion can run afterwards to glue the merged code with divergent code.