Any Engineering Managers (platform team) here . I ...
# general
s
Any Engineering Managers (platform team) here . I have some questions regarding how you satisfy team needs and org needs
s
đź‘‹ Director of PE here if that helps!
đź‘‹ 1
m
đź‘‹ Cycloid.io here we offer a collaboration platform dedicated to DevOps and hybrid cloud adoption, allowing you to optimize how DevOps and non-DevOps use technologies and clouds while adopting best DevOps practices, governance across projects and end to end observability
đź‘€ 1
k
I believe this upcoming talk at PlatformCon should interest you.
âś… 1
s
Sorry for the late reply ! I was wondering if there should be a different set of skills we should look at for platform engineering manager vs engineering manager The major differences I see that engineering manager takes care of product teams and platform eng manager takes care of platform teams. Does Platform engineer manager need to have more core technical understanding than product engineering managers ? How does this impact a platform engineer ? @Schuyler Bishop perhaps you have more insights ?
s
I think how you look to hire your EMs depends on the skills needed of the team. Example - I desire my cloud-focused platform team to be comprised of both SWE and Cloud Engineers, and ideally people that are both. Do you plan work the way a SWE wants to see it with a roadmap that’s loosely but well planned? Or do you mostly have a backlog of tickets. If you’re ticket driven and that works for you, that’s fine but an EM with a SWE background will not be happy in that system vs a product-driven backlog.
I also think it depends on how you define the role of a manager. I have mine with outcome delivery and quality responsibilities as well as mentoring / growing the team. Separating the product responsibilities to a TPM allows the EM to focus on the team’s outcomes as a system.
âś… 1
s
Having the Vision for the platform team should be responsibility also of the engineering manager along with team ? Or the Enigneering manager should rely on the Senior Engineers to drive the vision. If the EM doesnt have the background in systems, cloud, production engineeering, dev-ex etc wouldn’t it be hard to for him/her to take care of platform team or he/she should just focus on outcome , unblocking the team and raising their productivity. Or this vision will be transferred to a TPM ? provided TPM is also very good background with cloud systems , etc and platform enegineering