ive noticed Slack channels like these to be extrem...
# general
o
ive noticed Slack channels like these to be extremely biased towards people who prefer telecommuting
l
thatโ€™s not a surprise, is it?
o
Depends on your expectations I guess
m
i think it says a lot about how much those who prefer being in an office need to work on connecting with the increasingly-remote community (water cooler chats are great, but even better if you can chat with people around the world)
o
@Mike Hoskins that last part isnt necessarily true. But a debate on this subject is beyond the scope of my observation.
t
I'm sure there are plenty of slacks for people that love driving two hours each day to work with headphones on and window glare in an open plan office.
๐Ÿ™„ 1
๐Ÿ˜„ 1
o
@Tom that's a strawman argument
m
@Omri Gabay i'm not sure if you're trying to be argumentative or just defensive. having worked in forced-onsite environments i speak from experience in how many such cultures need to put more effort into connecting more broadly. i'm not for or against any one style of work, there is no one right way. Tom's words were quite literally not a strawman, that involves standing up a false or unrelated argument and the lack of commute (and pain of many commutes) is both true and relevant to reasoning behind how some choose to work. that said, welcome and thank you for bringing diverse opinions ๐Ÿ™‚ i don't think we're debating (i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, i know what works for me) so much as chatting about different approaches and i think that is very much in scope based on the poll.
o
Ill respond a lil later but he was basically painting a weak argument
And I'm concerned with bringing a diversity of opinions like you said, which to me involves pushing back on certain narratives. (I began with making an observation)
I'm interested in learning more about what you mean when you say cultures need to out more effort into connecting more broadly
l
I just think that remote-first companies are more on the forefront of platform engineering because itโ€™s a necessity for them. If you build all systems with remote access in mind you are more or less forced to think about it. Not a coincidence then that these people would join here ๐Ÿ™‚
o
@Lennard Berger I had a feeling there was a causal explanation. Thanks for sharing!
๐Ÿ‘ 1