Hi all - a few of you asked me if I could share ou...
# product-management
l
Hi all - a few of you asked me if I could share our platform KPI trees after the discussion in this thread. So, I published a blog post about our approach to platform KPIs at Wise: https://medium.com/wise-engineering/platform-engineering-kpis-6a3215f0ee14. Happy reading! 📖🙂
🙌 6
👌 1
m
This is great @Lambros Charissis, thanks for sharing!
🙂 1
👍 1
s
this is fantastic! thank you @Lambros Charissis!
🙏 1
k
This is very helpful, thanks a lot!!
🙏 1
r
That's cool @Lambros Charissis ! That's the blog post I was meant to write myself 😊
l
@Ralf Huuck please go for it, curious how other teams approach this :)
👍 1
k
@Lambros Charissis - went through the tree once more, and have some questions. Will drill into one of the examples : Lead time -> PR Review Time. Now, how do you actually measure this - does github have APIs that gives us these values? (i suppose i can go look at github documentation 🙂 ) A single high level change can have multiple PRs. So do you measure each and take the average?
d
We use the GitHub API to measure things like this. The raw data is there in the form of events (e.g. open, review, merge) along with timestamps. From there we do some calculation to come up with numbers like total review time, PR response time and so on.
k
Thanks @Dean McGregor! I’ll look those up
l
Yep, what Dean said 🙂 raw data is in GitHub, accessible via API, we ingest it into our data warehouse continuously. We only care about averages / median yes, ideally you want to drill down and filter my team or by external / internal PRs..