:wave: We’re designing a <Score> binary for Google...
# platform-toolbox
t
👋 We’re designing a Score binary for Google Cloud Run. Do you know someone who uses Google Cloud Run and deploys to multiple environments? I’d love to connect with them to understand how they handle environment specific configuration.
s
yes i do, and there’s more than one way to do it
t
@Sandro Manke sorry for the slow response here. Would you be open to having a quick call to talk though the different ways? Or whatever other medium you prefer - it would be very helpful for me to have this information.
s
@Taras Mankovski i am still in vacation, so also slow to answer. I suppose my first week will be hard. However if you are designing this opensource, I would be open to joining this effort, as cloud run is also my go-to solution on gcp and it may be very worthwhile having a better definition. tf/pulumi+cli isn’t that amazing of an experience 🙂 also to be honest, none of the ways to do configuration really was a lot of fun. in short the basic options are: thing is i really don’t want to throw something like tf/pulumi onto a dev repo when deployment happens from there (not everything is gitops sadly, then things may be different, but i hope one day everything will be) what so far seemed the easiest in that case is prepare apps in tf/p more central repos, everything set, add some “ignore this” and let the app deploy via cli. its a short call, but not ideal. in that case you have the environment specific config in a more central repo. that all falls apart when you wanna use jobs however, that also wanna use those configs. of course you could also prepare them in a more central repo, but thats a pain in the ass very quickly. one way to solve this was to just use secrets to store all the environment specific config. we don’t have configmaps currently. while it may not be all secret, that actually works. its initially a bit more pain but when you want to use jobs too, it makes things a ton more usable. where i’d like to get however is control more of the app from application side, less centralized, which leads me to believe we can do much better with score here overall 🙂 https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/beta/run/services/replace functionality may become very helpful here, as we can just output a simple knative yaml.
happy to dive in more in about 2 weeks 🙂
t
@Sandro Manke it will be open source, I’m just trying to figure out how it will work. When you come back, let’s work on an RFC for score-gcr
@Sandro Manke let me know when you’re back online. I’d love to pick up this conversation.
s
we can pick it up next monday if you like 🙂
t
@Sandro Manke perfect!