I’m wondering how many of us in the community go b...
# general
a
I’m wondering how many of us in the community go beyond dev tooling and cloud to meet the goals of reducing cognitive load on teams, improve flow and help teams be more productive? I posted this on linkedin about how Team APIs are a great way to improve flow between teams and reduce cognitive load, and whilst it does mention that we use Compass within Atlassian to do this, it’s more the concept of a Team API which I think is helpful for teams.
r
Super insightful @Andrew Boyagi - I didn’t know about Compass. For how long does it exist?
a
Thank you @Romaric Philogène, Compass has existed internally within Atlassian since ~2017 and is core to the engineering function. You probably haven’t heard too much about it as the external version of Compass is currently in beta with GA coming very soon. Would love to hear your feedback on the product - it’s currently free to use.
r
I’d love to give it a try then. It can be super interesting to see how well it’s adopted by organisations. Do you have an article showing the difference with other solutions like Backstage (correct me if it is not comparable)?
a
Awesome! I don’t have an article that compares it to other products, but there are a whole heap of articles listed on Compass at the community page. I’m also giving a talk on the Atlassian Compass journey at the Unleash event on February 9th, there’s free registration to that event - definitely worth checking out. Last link I’ll share, I gave a

talk at AWS re:Invent

in November about how Atlassian uses Compass to tame software sprawl.