https://platformengineering.org logo
#general
Title
# general
p

Pete Kruckenberg

01/13/2023, 1:51 PM
If you’ve tried (successfully or not) embedding DevX devs in other teams, I’d love to hear what worked and what didn’t 🧵
My team is planning to try embedding this year as a way to build stronger relationships with our dev customers, and get better insights for our roadmap. We have lots of questions about how to make this work, like: • how long should we be embedded with a team - is a week too short, can it be effective without being months • how much should the DevX dev “walk in the shoes” of the embed team (doing some of the actual work of the team) vs doing DevX-type work for the embed team • Should the DevX dev be 100% focused on the embed team, or does it work to spread themselves between the embed team and the DevX team • How important is it to formalize the embed experience - should there be specific plans/goals/boundaries defined before the embed starts Looking forward to hearing what others have tried
r

Ric McLaughlin

01/13/2023, 5:21 PM
Interesting approach and could solve some of the common issues DevX teams have with product team engagement. I’ve have had great success doing the reverse of this approach: taking a fractional amount of time of dev teams to build a community of excellence that provides the some of horsepower for DevX efforts by workload. This solves some of the basic problems platform teams have - figuring which issue teams needed solving across a large patch of the org, established best practice to build a golden path, and built the engagement needed to get them to adopt and be invested. And it set the stage for a nice flywheel between dev teams and the platform teams. What specific problem are you trying solve?