Hello team, I’m new leading Platform teams, and I...
# platform-culture
m
Hello team, I’m new leading Platform teams, and I’m looking for experiences and advices! First point that I would like to to tackle: Developer experience I’m wondering which are the strategies and actions you’ve put in place to improve the developement experience for the Dev teams that are using the services you own in your Platform Engineering teams Thanks!
l
• Shift Left • Self Service
m
Thanks Liora for the response. Could you please elaborate on each of those points?
l
Sure. Here are some examples: Shift Left - Maintaining dev environment with devcontainer, and enforcing few quality gates via pre-commit. Self Service - Developer can spin an environment on AWS with IaC.
m
Thanks! Maybe I can give you more details of my use case. My Platform Engineering team is owing a service, which exposes a set of APIs, that are used by other Feature Teams for them to implement on top. How those ideas of • shift left • Self Service Could be applied to my use case? Thanks in advance!
l
Thanks for providing additional context. Here is what I would consider: Shift left - There are two options. 1. Provide the platform team ability to validate their in-development code not breaking the feature teams code 2. Provide to the feature teams code the ability to implement new capabilities based on the in-development (future) platform capabilities
Self Service - The feature teams are able to spin an environment with a click of a button. The environment stuck includes all the layers including the platform's layer.
m
Would you recommend some kind of communication between my Platform Teams and the Feature Teams that are using our service (our APIs)?
l
Not sure I'm following. Please clarify the question.
m
Yes, sorry. I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to establish some communication channel, or weekly meetings, between my Platform Team and the Feature Teams that are using our APIs What do you think?
l
Personally, meetings tend to become over time in-effective, a distraction and not scaleable. Would prefer to set on-demand meetings after exhausted all async communication channels.
j
Were I in your shoes, I would come up with a regular survey to gauge DX across the company which includes your product. If you want to just buy something to do this, check out getdx.com which is well researched/reasoned about. That said, don't let $$ be the reason you don't send out a survey to ask people what their experience is.
p
Hi @Marcos Lobo, I can recommend two books for you, concepts from these sources are battle tested in our company during consulting and delivery of couple of Internal Developer Platforms: 1. Perform Value Stream Mapping workshop with the Delivery Teams to find out pain points in the process -> thanks to it you can discover what is slowing down your teams and also get hollistic overview about their DevEx a. book: Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work and Align Leadership for Organizational Transformation 2. Think about Platform Operating Model -> goal is to properly shape interactions between Platform Team and Delivery Teams a. book: Team Topologies Technology is important and proper design of platform services and their APIs too, however, from my experience, technology is only part of the bigger picture 😀 Colleague from my team is also running a blog about PE, another source which you may find useful: https://khalasa.com/2022/07/how-to-build-useful-devops-platform/