<@U03MWHBQ83Y> Great talk! With the rapid evolutio...
# platform-impact
l
@Johnny Dallas Great talk! With the rapid evolution of cloud technologies and the emergence of new tools and services, how does a developer platform keep up with these changes and ensure that the startups relying on it have access to the latest innovations and best practices?
j
Thanks for the question @Lorenzo Tagliati! A good platform will allow new innovations to be built into it. The right granularity of building blocks is important. For example, at Zeet, the building blocks are cloud resources (across many clouds), IaC packages, and a continual drip of new infrastructure and service templates. If it can be represented as IaC, it can be deployed to a cloud, and in Zeet’s case, any cloud. In the general dev platform case, it’s up to the platform engineers to bring in the new technology (using IaC or the like), but once done, a good developer platform will enable developers to leverage that new technology. In summary, so long as platform engineers can create templates and configurations around those new technologies with the right building blocks, a good developer platform allows devs to leverage those new technologies
j
yes, great question @Lorenzo Tagliati! I’d agree with Jack here - Flexibility is the key piece here in my opinion. A good developer platform allows its platform engineers (operators) to bring in new functionality. In the case of Zeet as the developer platform that those companies were using in our talk today, there’s some functionality that they bring in themselves and there’s some functionality that we provide by acting as an additional platform engineering team. Since we get to see what’s going on with lots of different teams, we can keep an eye on new trends or technologies, and we know how to run them effectively
l
Thank you both for being so responsive! "so long as platform engineers can create templates and configurations around those new technologies with the right building blocks, a good developer platform allows devs to leverage those new technologies" love this. I will follow Zeet very closely 👀
j
Sounds great, thanks Lorenzo!