Yeah, I have heard a rule of thumb a while back......
# wayfolk
n
Yeah, I have heard a rule of thumb a while back....YMMV, not a rule, just something some person said to me once. 1 page when your career is < 10 years, then you get another half page for every 5 years after that
j
i have earned the 2 pages then
t
woohoo I get 3 pages 😉
n
I'm now stalking your LinkedIn Tom. I didn't know you were a Hoosier! (I went to college at RHIT in Terrible Hole, I mean Terre Haute)
t
Yup a Hoosier. I had quite a few class mates that went to RHIT. I also went to camp at ISU one summer. I recall the city had a distinct odor due to the food processing plants.
j
tom, you get two pages with a catch all bucket for roles that were 10+ years ago
let me know if you need a working example
t
The catch all would be everything prior to W ;-(
j
want to see mine?
n
There was a paper mill too. The smell was terrible when it rained my freshman year (2002-2003). But it had improved a bit in the late aughts when I was regularly visiting for homecoming etc.
t
It may have been the paper mills -- it was a long time ago 😉 glad to hear the air quality is better.
b
30 year club ( okay 29). having a little trouble distilling it down...
t
@Jordan Chernev resume is a good example of how to focus it on the most recent 10 years --
j
I can't link to the doc from my phone now. Tom, feel free to share it in thread. I don't mind
n
woah, jordan you worked at ntag?!
i did my first coop there! they sent me to cancun for an event and I came back and my manager and all my coworkers got laid off and i finished the last month of my coop while they shuttered the company
j
Haha, small world
Who was still there
n
i only remember a few people, jefferson, sujatha, edwina, and mark hillis
i think i still have some ntags from when they shut down haha
j
I literally know all of these people
Small world
Jefferson and I used to be a pair
n
did jefferson try and get you to join his phone plan mlm, too?
j
Didn't do as many events with mark
Yes, he did
n
he was a good dude. small world, indeed. edwina was my manager and sujatha and jefferson were on my team with her in... qa? i think
j
Yes, Sujatha and Edwina were Q&A. Jefferson probably moved over after I left
b
Took longer than I thought because I had to hack the firmware of my old BuffaloNas to add smb2 so it would work with my new Windows 11 laptop. (just so I could mount my drive and get to my old resume. ) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ynx8EWkdmkk79Xe1-ngLpglGaDpRg4HxcndVWXbK9vs/edit?usp=sharing This is the just use a small font and cram everything in there strategy with lots of good action verbs. Not sure that most people are capable of reading that much.
j
took a quick peek just now, left some comments. admittedly, i stopped reading 1/2 page in
b
yeah I'm sure you are not the only one...
Thanks for the help.
j
you have the content
happy to help you iterate on it
some are on their 6th iteration but it's getting close to a finish line for them
b
Admitedly my time at Wayfair was semi-boring from a pure technical angle. The main thing I learned was how to do corporate. Push changes through regularily, and effectively without breaking things and getting people upset. Not sure how to word that on my resume.
j
i am sure it was a lot more than that 🙂