Did anyone switch from Terraform to OpenTofu? How ...
# terraform
s
Did anyone switch from Terraform to OpenTofu? How is the experience?
n
Following for curiosity
l
Thats always the challenging part of these types of things - we all see the huge amount of posts, content etc when something like OpenTofu launches. But rarely do we get the updates of how it went in the future
n
With OpenTofu I assume it's better to adopt it sooner rather than later 🤣
n
Yeah, this early in the game, it should be a drop-in replacement as it hasn't forked too far. And then you get to (best case) reap the benefits of the new features they are working on. And address any compatibility issues head-on slowly as they arrive, instead of swapping out years from now and getting a ton of issues all at once
s
Reading the article it seems the migration was flawless. It's always good to have some feedback on such important topics, which I was struggling to find earlier. Thanks for sharing @Serdar Dalgic
l
Definitely interesting @Serdar Dalgic, thanks for sharing. Would be interested to see updates across a longer timeline
a
Hey everyone, just a heads-up: we’re switching our Terraform repos over to Opentofu. I’ll drop an update here once it’s all set up. Stay tuned!”
s
Hey @Ankush Madaan did you finish the migration? How did it went?
a
Hi @Saptadip Sarkar, yes . Forgot to post here. it’s not rolled to production yet but the transition was flawless. We might push the changes soon to our Github public Repository https://github.com/squareops Will update once it’s done
j
We are about to consider it as we're starting to make use of GitLab's Terraform module registry in repos and the Terraform GitLab AutoDevOps scripts which are going to flip to OpenTofu in v18 of Gitlab. I'll continue to follow here and update after we have our strategy discussion.