As I am not a developer myself, I was wondering if...
# product-management
a
As I am not a developer myself, I was wondering if there are others like me doing pm work for internal platforms? How common or uncommon is this? 😰
s
Project or product manager? If the former, then there's more but less success. I strongly consider coming to my talk on the role of the technical product manager 😉
💯 1
j
Yep, here as well! I think everyone in this channel 😄 But not too common yet. However, hopefully that's changing with the movement of "Platform as a Product".
☝️ 3
How are you tackling it hiring more PMs on the team @Areti Panou?
a
Comes down to leadership and experience. If you have a PM focus you can build a great system. Otherwise an alternative is a Engineering Manager. That can work. Just comes down to people in the right place with the right ability.
🙏 2
m
I’m a PM in platforms
👋 2
d
a
I do product discovery and stakeholder management but our tool is just one of many in the platform. I guess my question is how easy it is to understand developers' needs when you are not one yourself? But I see I am in good company here 😃
a
Listening
s
I think it helps being a developer or former developer, but you can still get to understand things like pain points. Ask developers to “demo” the stuff they don’t like.
I think as you work with them more you’ll build more empathy and understanding of the developer’s work, just like any subject matter.
j
Just being a dev isn't enough. Product discovery is still required :-)
💯 4
s
Product managers rarely get to join a new team where they understand the product deeply. It’s always a process - you can still gain all the knowledge / context you need without being a dev yourself. 🙂
d
Sorry, I misunderstood the question the first time. In my experience, it is easier and faster for a good PM to move into an unfamiliar space, even a very technical one, than for an engineer to build product sense. As the platform engineering space grows — explodes, even — I think there are a growing number of folks like you, @Areti Panou.
@Areti Panou Are you looking for suggestions on how “to understand developers’ needs when you are not one yourself”?
a
As an old boss called it, the product fiddler or dabbler is someone who plays with the product.
a
I understand their needs (I hope) but I feel I would be much better or faster at that if I was more knowledgeable technically. And as this is a very technical field I was wondering if there were others with similar, let's say challenges. Really appreciate the conversation and points here
s
Definitely a big challenge for highly technical products.
j
If you really want, you could have someone take you through a 101. Or perhaps build a hello world version yourself (or with someone). Not the same, but gives you a better idea what they're doing?
💯 2
a
Well that much I can do but if you ask me the pain of getting the right authorizations for the right Kubernetes workspace...
a
there are architects and engineers there to do that for us easily
☝️ 1
s
I personally believe that business value is the great equalizer for product owners regardless of their background.
a
our job is making decisions, Kubernetes are temporary
a
It's good to know that this is the way to go @Alan Barr
I am off to the real world where there are no such problems, just dishes to be done. Have a nice one everyone and thanks!
👋 3
l
This is pretty common. Like everyone said above it is key to remember to treat this as a product your are developing for your customers, being internal or external.
✔️ 2
p
I believe not having a Dev background as PM can be used to your advantage as you force your users (engineers) to formulate their pain/need/goals in “human” language (and not Kubernetes-something-something). Challenge your users to really explain WHY they need something (like a specific authorization in Kubernetes). Platform Architects and Platform Engineers should help bridge the knowledge gap between a Product Owner/Manager if needed (you’re not alone in the platform journey, use the power of the platform team 🙂 ) so bring them along when you talk to your users.
r
I'm a PM who made the journey from Enterprise architecture/technical consulting (non-dev) to being a PM for an Internal Developer Platform. @Areti Panou Happy to share my experience and also learn from others!
t
Just found this thread, thanks @Areti Panou for starting it! I've done some coding for myself, but I've never been a professional developer. I came up from a technical program management background and am transitioning to product management in my new role. I am finding it valuable to my team to have more of an external perspective, but lots of impostor syndrome gets in there!
a
We have to start somewhere, 😜 I never use MongoDB but I get the idea and get things done
j
@Tracy Kropp this is very recognisable 😂 I am comfortable with basic to advanced programming, but still a huge gap compared to my platform teams - much more than my previous product team. Share this also with the team. They're very likely to help you out and do some platform engineering 101 😁