<@U02NV4CDBGA> just looked at your slides, how did...
# platform-blueprints
r
@eferro just looked at your slides, how did you go about changing culture/metrics and communicate across silos?
e
It has been a combination of things.
On the one hand we were growing fast and I put questions/checks about devops and product into the hiring process.
When we created the Platform/DevEx team, I hire people with XP experience that work end2end and with product mindset
So this team led by example
r
Yes, makes sense. It seems to me “growing fast” is a common denominator for many such initiatives.
e
Previously I introduce blameless incident management process. And I think that this was also an inflection point, because at the end we start assigning the responsibility (and ownership) to each one of the teams...
and the Platform area teams act as facilitators and enablers...
very important, I introduce ideas of Team Topologies to try to reorganize some of the teams, assign ownership, and make easier to grow with more end2end teams
r
Nice!
Who in the org empowered you with this? CTO?
e
I lead the Platform Area (SRE, cloud infra, developer experience, corporate IT) so is part of my job, but for sure I was very aligned with the VP of Engineering (we didn't have a CTO in the beginning) and later also with the CTO
To create the Developer Experience I presented the proposal and business case to the VP of Engineering...
r
Cool! Thanks!
e
In fact for more mature teams I consider that we could wait more until creating this kind of teams, but in out case, I convinced to use these teams as leverage to improve our engineering culture (improve testing, deployment frequency, production stability, etc)