<@U039Q1DFJP7>, <@U02HFR09BCP> and <@U03HLPH0L3H> ...
# platform-stories
n
@Simone Sciarrati, @Colin Humphreys and @Gregor you all have at least one or two decades of experience in building platforms, and thanks Colin, your talk on 20 years getting it wrong was really insightful. I’d be interested in learning more about things that didn’t work out and failed. Maybe we could come up with a list of the biggest platform fails here? I guess @Steve Pereira could also contribute, looking forward to his talk tomorrow!🙌
s
20 years of getting it wrong feels VERY relatable 🙂
😅 8
c
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the talk.
g
@Colin Humphreys - hi there!
c
Well hello, sir!
g
I've seen a fair bit of failures but the customers aren't keen to be publicized 🙂
fruit salad, sir?
🍇 1
c
talking about fruit salad, I need to get some lunch! Will be back shortly!
s
From our experience two things stand out: 1. Trying to do too many things at once - launching a new service but not having the necessary time and resources to support its adoption (being unable to market it internally and help teams hands on) 2. We have sometimes engaged in a collaboration with a development team without making sure in advance (officially) they could commit the necessary time and resources - this turns out to be frustrating for everyone involved and a waste of time
💯 2
s
A lot of the anti-patterns I saw are essentially product anti-patterns, and they sit on a foundation of platform paradigm. If you don’t treat critical internal tooling as a first class product, you will make the wrong decisions.