<@U03HBHDCESE> You are throwing around words you k...
# platform-culture
p
@Michael Wood You are throwing around words you know nothing about. Just because someone hurts your feelings does not mean they are pschyopaths or sociopaths.
h
Can you elaborate? I don't think @Michael W wants to point out individuals as psychopaths or sociopaths.
p
It's using a very broad brush to trying to make some point.
But to talk about pyschopaths in this context is very strange.
m
Sorry @Henning Jacobs I think you have the wrong Michael W! 🙂
🤦‍♂️ 1
m
Hi Peter! Thanks for the feedback, and I’d love to clarify. My intention was to look at organizational structures that have an incentive for different types of behavior. That’s why I tried to communicate that I was not diagnosing anyone, or any behavior. I was trying to categorize incentives according to the potential to produce certain outcomes.
p
And the only words you could find was psychopaths and sociopaths?
m
Well, this was in response to study, so it is based in some reality. For example, Forbes published this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackmccullough/2019/12/09/the-psychopathic-ceo/?sh=7e22486a791e. This is just one of dozens and dozens of articles and discussions on the topic. The Washington Post published this article as well: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-small-business/wp/2016/09/16/gene-marks-21-percent-of-ceos-are-psychopaths-only-21-percent/
So in addressing the phenomena, I found it interesting to examine the organizational structures that might produce such occurrences. In the development environment where we are working to drive innovation, one of the keys is psychological safety: https://www.imi.ie/insights/blogs/grainne-millar-psychological-safety-as-a-catalyst-for-innovation/
So, as I was thinking through the demands of the development organization, I thought it would be interesting in tackling how to provide a higher degree of psychological safety to introduce ideas, and develop value through the lens of how our incentives either enhance that sense of safety, or degrade it.
Does that make more sense? This is wonderful feedback. I will need to consider how I structure and introduce the topic.
Naturally in such a short period of time, it is difficult to provide enough depth, so I am grateful for the dialogue here.
p
I know this is a popular theory about CEOs. Because it fits the narrative of why that "A-hole" is a CEO and I am not. But if one follows recent research on the topic it is more and more clear there is next to no sure way of identifying one. Also the tests are not reliable due to they (phsychopaths) being highly adaptable to the situation. I am just saying this is a strange narrative to push out there. I personally would make the three categories high trust medium trust and low trust in the peers. - And a team with majority of high trust, will also be a team that performs.
m
Oh! I agree with you on the narrative being overblown. So, In fact, Snakes in Suits is a great read on how nearly impossible it is for a clinical diagnoses of a psychopathic individual. This is why I tried to be clear up front that I was not diagnosing anyone at all. Psychiatrists fail to ID such individuals.
💯 1
They did ID patterns that could point to a potential diagnoses, but even then the testing is extremely difficult.
p
Yes, since you dont have a control
m
Correct.
So, what I tried to do is ask what incentives appeal to what aspects of our personality. What incentives encourage a sense of safety to create innovative teams
…But, I did make the point that none of these are foolproof, but rather a continuum for us to consider.
p
Yeah, that is good.
m
And, I suppose, the psychopath idea is a bit of a click-bait way to discuss how empathetic our incentives are and how we balance empathy and detatchment to drive best results for the firms we support.
p
Got it
Not a fan of clickbait titles of conferance talks.
m
What I mean is that it is a topic routinely in the news. In terms of why I chose it is I tend to think recognizing the shadow in ourselves allows us to be more incorporated humans. Let's be conscious of the darker sides of ourselves so that we live deliberately. Sort of a Carl Jung view of psychological integration.