Hi everyone, has anyone come across a comparison b...
# general
c
Hi everyone, has anyone come across a comparison between Humanitec, Crossplane, Kubevela etc? A deep dive comparison based on different factors (Security, Observability, Dev Experience, Providers etc)?
đź‘Ť 1
l
Also Cycloid seems to be a pretty hot name in the market today. And here in Italy we have a company working with CNCF on Krateo which is a similar “platforming platform”
g
These are pretty different vendors fwiw. • Crossplane is more of a multicloud control plane play though you could build a developer platform on top of it. Significant work I think to build on crossplane. • Humanitec internal developer platform. • Check out Loft.sh for an internal developer platform, as well, that is Kubernetes focused. They are growing very quickly and have some pretty strong customers and are built on top of vcluster, which is a super cost-efficient OSS project. • I don't know enough about Kubevella to comment but it seems tighter on software/application delivery than a developer platform. So I would start by asking what exactly/how much you want to build, whether you want a commercial offering or OSS, how far you want a developer platform to extend, what you have already (CI/CD through Jenkins or Gitlab or do you want your developer platform to cover this?) Consideration is probably less about observability for the developer platforms (Humanitec, Loft) and maybe more for the PaaS-ish plays (Kubevella, Crossplane.)
đź‘Ť 1
h
Their all slightly different, Krateo is probably the closest to a humanitec open source version, it leverages backstage and crossplane plus some other packages in the future to build a IDP, kubevela has some IDP features but you would need to combine it with crossplane and backstage.
Loft is more kubernetes focused dont think I would call it a IDP though
g
@Hugo Pinheiro Some big companies are building their developer platforms on top of it 🙂 I don't think it's a platform in a box but I think larger companies tend not to be looking for that.
h
Ohh ya agree, Loft is great software, I myself been testing out Devspace and vcluster