A lot of what I see about platform engineering is ...
# general
t
A lot of what I see about platform engineering is based on a tech stack that includes Kubernetes and Terraform. I am interested in orgs that have implemented platform engineering in a fully (or near as possible) AWS native environment. I am talking mostly Lambda compute maybe some ECS or Beanstalk, CDK for IaC, Code* for CI/CD, etc. Is anyone here using such a stack or have you seen any good resources on building a platform engineering initiative on this stack?
g
I think you can try to connect up with people at Ancestry.com. They are a AWS-native shop and seem to have done a good job from my understanding. I don't really know how you give engineers a great developer experience with ECS/Fargate, though. Would be curious what the best tooling is there.
๐Ÿ‘ 1
f
Hi Troy & Gyan, Ancestery is a big Harness shop. They compliment the AWS stack with Harness to orchestrate anything artifact forward while still ensuring - to your point Gyan - developer experience. Here is a case study on the topic https://harness.io/customers/case-studies/governance-and-pipeline-management/ DM me if you want me to connect you @Troy Marshall!
๐Ÿ‘ 1
๐Ÿ‘ 1
m
Hi @Troy Marshall We are also (devopsbox.io) implementing our platform on top of AWS services using for example ECS Fargate, CodeBuild, CodePipeline and of course we are focused on developer experience. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer.
k
Weโ€™re in the process of migrating from EKS to ECS, AppRunner and Lambda. Also using some Beanstalk here and there, but not that much anymore. Based on Terraform and some teams use Pulumi. Feel free to reach out if you have questions!
t
I am very interested in the AWS-native tooling organizations are using. We are using CDK heavily to express our IaC, including our CICD pipelines built around Code*. We are a highly distributed AWS account environment so I am looking at ways to offer standardized CDK constructs as part of our platform and how we would distribute those. AWS Proton is one option we are considering. I am curious, are any teams using AWS Proton as the basis for their platform?