hello everyone! good day! there are various aspect...
# general
y
hello everyone! good day! there are various aspects of platform engineering. internal developer platform is one thing to enable dev productivity and seamless experience but what about commonly used business logic / services ? there could be few libraries / services that are common to the entire org - for ex, account management, user service, licensing, etc? they should also ideally be an arm of the platform right?
so here is what I'm thinking my structure would look like Technical capabilities a squad focusing on dev experience and productivity - scaffolding , cross-cutting concerns, etc Business capabilities - Shared services , libraries - like geocoding, reverse geocoding, user creation / management, search, etc Offering data as a platform - I plan to work this out as separate..
a
Sounds to me like you are describing a lot of what Team Topologies describes. If you haven’t explored their work you should take a look as it may help!
y
oh yes I did.. looking for what kinda of team structure that most of the companies have in place.
a
Ah, yes that makes sense. My experience is at fairly small to midsized companies. So IME it has been a single team stretched across these areas, but it has also been a common conversation within the team that the context switching is really hard.
y
ah I see
s
Depends on the company and size of the company. Also depends on charter definition across Platform Engg team and product development. I have seen companies where anything horizontally scaling fold into Platform Engg and also Platform engg only concentrating on IDP , tools and infra framework. You need to decide what works here
y
yeah..we have a lot of things to do here.. horizontal / core services, dev experience, productivity, and we are also looking to provide data as a platform
Is there any good document that talks through various aspects of platform?