“Are we a Platform Team or an Enabling Team?” “Why...
# product-management
c
“Are we a Platform Team or an Enabling Team?” “Why do we have to be one or another?” Thoughts?
a
In my experience, architects, QA, platform engineer can be a temporary enabler. For my platform team we might work for a week or two to get the training or the experience. My two cents
p
• Enabling team does not have to own a product, a platform team does (in my opinion) • I guess it does not matter what you call yourself as long as the team and org is aligned on what the team purpose is and what others can expect from that team
r
Usually you have multiple platform teams, and therefore you have a Platform Area. Sometimes, large organizations create enabler teams to increase the awareness and adoption by stream-aligned teams because they do not have (may be) resources to migrate their tools/infrastructure setup to adopt best practices/standards.
e
We have a platform team that is responsible for building the platform, and Enablers teams are responsible to increase adoption as Raquel said.
r
If you treat your platform as a product, similar to any other product, you can have people who build the platform. Then there are people like DevRel who helps in enabling others and evangelizing about the platform, and you can rotate people between these roles if possible.