Hello all, I wanted to know your opinion about the...
# product-management
a
Hello all, I wanted to know your opinion about the relationship between Enabling Teams and Platform as a Product. The PaaP approach, which has become very popular lately, has the benefit of simplifying the shaping of Platform Teams, since we can follow the well-known patterns learnt from Product Teams when it comes to methodologies, roles, and so on. Also the
platform ~ product
metaphor helps a lot defining goals, priorities, constraints and strategies. My question for you is: would it make sense to use the same metaphor for Enabling Teams devoted to address missing capabilities through training and knowledge sharing? Shall our Enabling Teams work as third-party "training service providers" do? If not, how do we shape such teams? There seems to be a lack of literature about Enabling Teams out there.
r
Yes, you are totally right. From my experience, Enabler teams help stream aligned teams to adopt the Platform and they detect missing features that the platform team might not have detected, because you might not know why there is no adoption.
a
Agree. I consider that “enabling” can involve other areas not so strictly related to Platform. For instance, you cannot just replace software design patterns or technical practices like TDD with some tooling. The problem is that even if we have a clear vision on the purposes of such teams (the why and the what) there is still a big gap on how they should organize and operate…
r
Reach out this person: https://twitter.com/paugay
a
Thank you very much!
m
check out Team Topologies